To choose a Chinese name for yourself, first start with your surname. You will most likely want to choose from one of the 100 most common Chinese surnames, which actually make up 87% of the population. Usually you would want to choose a surname that sounds similar to your own last name.
How can I get my Chinese name?
1. Get a Chinese name from a native speaker you know
- Make one up yourself.
- Use some sort of auto-generator to create a name.
- Ask non-native speakers to make one up for you.
- Ask random people on the Internet to think of one for you.
- Ask random people on the Internet to “check” your Chinese name.
How do you choose an authentic Chinese name?
Here’s the Good News
- Find a Chinese friend with a good vocabulary whom you trust.
- Select a Chinese surname which sounds similar to your Western surname, e.g. Bell = Bèi, Garcia = Gāo, Maalouf = Mǎ , Vincent = Wēn.
- Add two more sound-alike characters to reflect some positive aspect of your character.
Can any Chinese character be a name?
the given name usually contains 1 or 2 characters, but never more than 2. u can pick any characters for a given name. if one’s given name has 2 characters, the 2 characters normally do not constitute a word, although sometimes they do.
What’s a good Chinese name?
Your favourite unique baby names….
- Ai – lovable.
- Ah Lam – peace.
- Baozhai – precious hairpin.
- Chu Hua – chrysanthemum.
- Chyou – autumn.
- Daiyu – black jade.
- Fen – scent.
- Ju – daisy.
Why are Chinese names so short?
It seems short just because they are converted to Pinyin (pronunciation of certain characters) for wider recognition. Being pictographic, Chinese characters convey more information than the pronunciation. So we can just say pronunciation (Pinyin) for each character is short.
How do you pick a Chinese girl name?
Chinese Names for Girls
- The name should be melodious. The name as it is read it should produce a sweet sound. …
- Avoid homonyms. Homonyms are words that have the same sound or spelling but have different meanings. …
- The Chinese horoscope. Parents often consider the horoscope to name their babies.
Why do Chinese have 3 names?
The first character is the surname / family name. The second character is typically the generational name. This means that all offspring within the same generation would share the same generational name.
Why are Chinese names so weird?
Because the small number of Chinese surnames leads to confusion in social environments, and because some Chinese parents have a desire to give individuality, some Chinese have received unusual given names. As of April 2009, about 60 million Chinese people have unusual characters in their names.
How can you tell if a Chinese name is male or female?
If “钅” （meaning “steel”）can be found as as one character or a part of a character in the name, then 10 out of 10, a male. If “女” （meaning “woman”）can be found as one character or a part of a character in the name, then 9 out of 10, a female.
What is the rarest Chinese name?
About 3000 years ago, family names could only be adopted by rulers. Then, with the Xia, Shang, and Zhou dynasties, the concept of having a family name came into being. The rarest Chinese last name to make to this list of ‘top 100’ seems to be ‘通过 Tōngguò’ meaning ‘by’ if you go by the usage statistic.
Is China a girl name?
China Origin and Meaning
The name China is a girl’s name of English origin. … The name has been associated with some very glamorous women–China (born Noelie and pronounced Cheena) Machado was one of the first supermodels and a muse for Richard Avedon, and the contemporary actress and model China Chow.
Is Kai a Chinese name?
Kai Surname Meaning
Kai is a common last name found among Overseas Chinese communities around the world. In fact, “Kai” is the transliteration of several different Chinese surnames. Its meaning varies depending on how it is spelled in Chinese, and which dialect it is pronounced in.